My cousin’s wife, Mercedes, is an amazing cook. She will be making traditional Venezuelan Christmas foods like hallacas, torta negra, pan de jamon, and galletas de mantequilla this December. Hallacas are a Venezuelan version of what is commonly known here as a tamale. They look like Christmas bundles wrapped in leaves and tied neatly with string. Yellow cornmeal masa surrounds a seasoned mix of shredded meat, raisins, and olives. Torta negra is a dark version of traditional fruitcake. Pan de jamon is a huge, golden, egg-washed bread filled with swirls of ham, olives, bacon, and raisins. Mercedes’ info is here if you are interested in tasty traditional treats!
Leave a Reply
Follow @miamidish on Twitter
- Miami Dish Loves: Churros for the Best of Times and the Worst of Times March 25, 2009
- Foodbuzz 24,24,24: First Annual Farm to Table Dinner September 21, 2008
- Contest: Tell Me Who You Are and Win Prizes! August 19, 2008
- Pizza Crawl – Downtown May 28, 2009
- CSA Show and Tell (Mid-January): Canistel Custard January 18, 2010
- Where to Eat in Chicago: Desserts and Treats March 17, 2015
- An Inclusive History of the United States in 100 Satiating Bites November 19, 2014
- Good Catch: Recipes & Stories Celebrating the Best of Florida’s Waters November 12, 2014
- New App Delivers All Of Miami–Literally–To Your Doorstep September 11, 2014
- Four Fascinating Moments from the International Association of Culinary Professionals Conference March 20, 2014
- FNN: You might want to go to the New Epicure Market in ...
- FNN: Sometimes just an old-fashion hearty meal that is ...
- Eleanor Hoh: Trina, my sincere apologies for not realizing you ...
- Sodeli Horn: Hello! Thank you for posting this interesting arti...
- Edible South Florida: You've done good work here, Trina. But we know we'...
33143 avocado Charles Ferrin chefs Chicago chocolate cocktails contest cookbooks cooking classes Coral Gables CSA events Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden farm farmers market farms featured First Annual Farm to Table Dinner fish food Food Events Haiti ice cream In Season interview lunch Lunch Week mango Man on the Street Miami Miami Beach Miami Drink Michael's Genuine Nutrition Ortanique Recipes Restaurants Slow Food South Beach Wine & Food Festival spotlight tropical fruit Video Bite wine winter