Miami Dish Loves Bacon

Retro BBQ Bacon

The comfort food trend has surged to a tidal wave of adulation for bacon. I love bacon. This should go without saying, as it seems no self-respecting food blogger refrains from proclaiming their adoration of this American icon. I’ve been meaning to do a post on my love for bacon, but what is left to say? Here are some links to the bacon brouhaha that I’ve found most compelling these days:

Pork Week

Salon inaugurated their Pork Week (a riff on summer’s annual “Shark Week”) yesterday, starting with an article on bacon-mania, decorated with a man clad in a hilarious bacon suit from the Archie McPhee catalog. I wholeheartedly enjoyed today’s article by Rebecca Traister on why she loves curing her own bacon.

Bacon Cocktail

I was fascinated when a bartender I know told me about a bacon-infused cocktail. Later, I read about the Bacon-Infused Old Fashioned in New York. I am intrigued by the maple syrup + bacon + bourbon combination; somehow it seems very natural. Here’s a video of how to make it.

Bacon Chocolate

The Vosges chocolate bacon bar brings bacon to the world of haute chocolate.

Bacon Apple Pie

I haven’t tried this one yet, but I find it so compelling. Pork and fruits such as apples and peaches complement each other, so perhaps this is why it seems like it would work. I first spied a recipe for bacon-topped apple pie in Rachael Ray’s Everyday Food; her people read bacon blogs too. Here’s another one.

Bacon

Photos courtesy of Royal Bacon Society.

Bacon Blog

There are lots of blogs about bacon these days, but my favorite is Royal Bacon Society. It’s comprehensive, humorous and beautifully photographed. There are bacon pictures, recipes, polls, and gifts. A recent post featured a bacon cake recipe and a very strange flickr bacon sculpture. Hope someone ate that.

Bacon-of-the-Month Club

The club’s 10-year run is testament to the existence of a large niche market for bacon. The bacon is created by various artisans who take their craft seriously. Dan Philips, or “Captain Bacon,” writes “I have made it a life goal to seek and find great bacons from all over the United States.” Aside from the club, you can also purchase bacon candles and other paraphernalia. I am fascinated by the bacon brittle…

Dear reader, what are your bacon favorites or favorite bacons?

Tags:

10 Responses to “Miami Dish Loves Bacon”

1. July 8, 2008 at 2:35 pm #

Trina,

I know not who you are, nor do you know me, but I love you for posting these AWESOME bacon links. I am the guy who gets hammered and decides to fight over share a pound of bacon with a buddy at 3am. I also love bourbon so that drink sounds right up my alley, even though I will admit it sounds a tad strange. Thanks for the links!

2. July 8, 2008 at 2:46 pm #

I came b/c SFDB told me there was bacon to be had here, and I love me some bacon. Any bacon, really, so long as it’s the real deal and not some “healthier”, “turkey” type crap.

You know what’s really awesome? You take a nice hot Cuban toast and stuff some crispt bacon in it, and munch away. Yyuuummmm. That’s what sustained me through my pregnancy.

3. July 8, 2008 at 4:31 pm #

You have to check out Dave’s Cupboard for great do-it-yourself bacon recipes. (davescupboard.blogspot.com) I’m actually going to smoke my own bacon, thanks to this blog.

4. trina
    July 8, 2008 at 8:10 pm #

Tere–So basically you just toast a piece of Cuban bread, press it, add butter and use to surround the bacon? Butter and bacon–awesome.

5. trina
    July 8, 2008 at 8:11 pm #

Blind Mind — I just knew that bacon would stir people’s passions. People, like me, just get so excited over it!

6. July 9, 2008 at 4:25 am #

That’s exactly it, Trina. It’s so very delicious, especially when the toast is buttery and the bacon crispy.

Follow that with some cafecito or a coffee, and you’re made.

7. July 9, 2008 at 3:41 pm #

Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink had bacon wrapped figs stuffed with blue cheese that were effing incredible last week. Alas, they werent on the menu yesterday when I returned. So sad, so very sad.

8. Beatriz Figueredo
    July 22, 2008 at 2:00 am #

Figs wrapped in bacon…. annnnnnnnd stuffed in blue cheese
    Just FAV !!! Why sould somebody remove something like that from the menu ?

9. Sue Sargalski
    July 31, 2008 at 4:11 am #

Trina,
    Great web page!! Just to let you know that we have been enjoying a bumper crop of tomatoes from the garden and have been feasting on some great BLTs – mmmm! About the only time I allow myself to enjoy that bacon! Keep up the great work! Maybe Sarah will return from Spain with some great new recipes!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Bacon Rage | Royal Bacon Society - The Ultimate Bacon Resource - July 8, 2008

[...] Miami Dish also has an article about bacon loving today, and we have to say thanks to Trina for the mad props. (If you’re visiting the Miami area, Miami Dish can tell you where to go for the best food finds.) Although some of the best bacon blogs have been around for years, this craze with the pork belly seems to keep surging up like waves on a beach. Nearly every non-vegetarian food site has a bacon section, or has professed their love in one way or another. Bacon has been a huge star on America’s Next Top Chef. A year ago, New York Restaurants writers claimed that bacon had “jumped the shark” with the arrival of Bacon Salt. Well I hate to say it, boys, but it looks like bacon is here to stay. [...]