What are the Three Local Restaurants You Can’t Live Without?

mango-chicken-salad-from-theine-small

I know I talked about this earlier in the year, but I found an article in New York magazine (Feb. 16, 2009) that gave more specific advice about supporting local businesses. It was in a series about how New York small businesses are coping with the downturn. When asked how he is dealing with people’s lack of disposable income, the owner of a custom clothes shop replied,

“I’ve got my own little recession plan-everyone needs to make an evaluation of the three little shops they like, and they need to spend in them. That’s something I’m personally doing. I go to the little restaurants I like, the place I get my glasses. Even though the spirit of the city is shot, if there are things in your neighborhood that you don’t want to see go away, then you have to support them. Otherwise, the big brands will just come sweeping in, and there’ll be nothing left.”

Today, I learned that one of my favorite bakeries in Gainesville shut its doors. A friend of mine went there today and found a “closed forever” type sign on the doors of the 2nd Street Bakery.  It was one of those places I always schedule into a trip when I visit; I’m going to miss those almond croissants and financiers.

Theine, a cozy Coral Gables teahouse with a strong local menu, is also bidding good-bye to Miami.  I’m sad to see Chef Kyra White go; she was a significant force in supporting local food.  She offered up Theine as a pick-up site for the Redland Organics CSA.  It was always fun to see what imaginative seasonal creations appeared on the chalkboard menu. I wish Kyra White luck in her new farming endeavors.

theine-menu-small
Menu at Theine

Think of perhaps three places you can’t live without, those restaurants or food stores you go to for sustenance of all kinds. South Florida is already overrun with strip malls and characterless big box stores. Think about the businesses that make life here a little more interesting. When you do happen to go out, support these restaurants with your more carefully spent discretionary dollars.

I’m curious-what are those three local restaurants/food shops/food stands you can’t live without?

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “What are the Three Local Restaurants You Can’t Live Without?”

1. Chrissy
    March 30, 2009 at 7:54 am #

Amichis in The Hammocks
    Ruson in west Kendall

2. March 30, 2009 at 10:22 am #

Mario the Baker’s original in North Miami
    Bali in downtown
    Flanigans anywhere

3. John
    March 30, 2009 at 12:58 pm #

Che Pibe in Miramar – Cook looks like George Clooney! Places makes a mean plate of Churrasco with a tasty Jimmy sauce along side a plate of Gnocci’s so good it will an Italian blush

Kelly’s Landing in Ft Lauderdale – Fried Bellies, Clam Chowder & Beer Beantown style

Tropical in Kendall – Dim Sum & Dinner – A Chinese resturant that Chinese people will actually eat at. So you know the food is good!

4. Tami Zamora
    March 30, 2009 at 2:09 pm #

3 SF shops that I especially spend on are The Fish House, Norman Brothers and Farm Stores. I started going to the Fish House 11 years ago when I moved to the area. But I have shopped @ Norman Brothers for approx. 25 years; and Farm Stores, I remember interviewing for a position with their headquarters 35 years ago. We are going thru an econominic cycle we have not seen before. This is my contribution to keep the SF landscape that I have become used to.

5. March 30, 2009 at 5:11 pm #

Gabose–Korean resto near Commercial on University Dr. and the Korean grocery across the street–Oriental Mart–for the best scallion kimchi ever.
    Michael’s Genuine–in the design district
    Fernanda’s Gourmet Market–near Oakland Park Blvd and US1 in Fort Laud.

Good question!

6. Chuck
    March 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm #

Chef Creole, Captain Jim’s Seafood, King’s Chinese. I went to Chef Creole today– they know my name and my voice over the phone. It feels good.

7. trina
    March 30, 2009 at 11:43 pm #

Chuck, That is a good feeling. Do they know your favorites?

8. April 2, 2009 at 11:14 am #

Creek 28 – obsessed with their Fig & Chestnut Ravioli
    Thai Spice – love the Panang
    Jack’s Hamburgers – I can never make a burger that yummy

9. Peter
    April 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm #

Sawadee Thai – Sushi & Coffee

* 6968 Bay Dr.
    * Normandy Isle, FL 33141
    * 305-866-8111

10. May 18, 2009 at 12:59 pm #

Red Light Lounge 7700 Biscayne Blvd.

Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink

Xixon’s at 28th and Coral Way

11. November 22, 2010 at 1:52 am #

there’s a television show that features several of these south Florida restaurants – the web page for the show is http://www.southfloridadines.com – you can see the videos of the restaurants and purchase 50% off certificates