October 21, 2011 | 0 Comments
Food-related events for your calendar, this weekend and beyond…
Practice your Catalan at the Barceloneta Spanish Bistro & Mercat
The Pubbelly crew expands their Miami Beach territory once again with Barceloneta. Sample Catalan and Spanish tapas (and no, they’re not the same) at the communal twenty-seat table or at one of the surrounding smaller tables.
If Barceloneta is overflowing due to the hype, just stroll down 20th Street to one of the other Pubelly eateries (Pubbelly and Pubbelly Sushi). I suspect those may be full, too. However, I’m not complaining if the feast surges into a pork, sushi and butifarra block party. Barceloneta is now open for dinner.
And more Catalan…
Continue your Catalan practice with the documentary, El Bulli: Cooking in Progress, about the legendary Spanish dining mecca and its mad scientist/chef Ferran Adria. In order to ensure that every self-respecting foodie in town gets to see the movie, both O Cinema and Miami Beach Cinematheque screen the film this weekend. MBC also has a Monday showing.
More food films for your plate and your mind
O Cinema continues its Food Justice Film Series this weekend with What’s on your Plate? The documentary follows Sadie and Safiyah, two 11-year-olds in New York City, as they discover the politics of what’s on their plates. The girls interview food activists, farmers, friends and storekeepers. Although produced by a completely different outfit, my hope is this film will emulate the awesome “Bodega Down Bronx,” a video also co-produced by kids and adults in New York City earlier this year.
Monday, October 24th is Food Day
This nationwide event is sponsored by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Visit the farmers market, learn more about local food issues in a discussion panel with farmers and professors and take in two more food documentaries (Grow and Fresh!) at the University of Miami on Monday. More Food Day events are listed here.
Leave a Reply
Follow @miamidish on Twitter
- Foodbuzz 24,24,24: First Annual Farm to Table Dinner September 21, 2008
- Miami Dish Loves: Churros for the Best of Times and the Worst of Times March 25, 2009
- Contest: Tell Me Who You Are and Win Prizes! August 19, 2008
- Pizza Crawl – Downtown May 28, 2009
- CSA Show and Tell (Mid-January): Canistel Custard January 18, 2010
- Welcome Oakland Park’s New Culinary Arts District on Tuesday December 9, 2013
- Lucky Rice Founder on Why Miami Is A Great Place for an Asian Food Festival November 13, 2013
- Learn to Cook Conch, Beignets and Other Haitian Dishes October 25, 2013
- Trader Joe’s Opens First Miami Location in Pinecrest October 17, 2013
- Gaston Acurio, Peru’s Most Famous Chef, Will Open Miami Restaurant September 3, 2013
- Eleanor Hoh: I can't wait to see what everyone's raving about, ...
- Brenda Benoit: So glad to hear that Chef Acurio is going to grace...
- trina: Daphne, I think perhaps an Indian market like Asia...
- Gene: Hi Miami Dish, Great blog! I just moved to Miam...
- Daphne: I need a couple of turmeric plants. Anyone know w...
33143 avocado Charles Ferrin chefs chocolate cocktails contest cookbooks cooking classes Coral Gables CSA environment events Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden farm farmers market farms featured First Annual Farm to Table Dinner food Food Events Haiti ice cream In Season interview lunch Lunch Week mango Man on the Street Miami Miami Beach Miami Drink Michael's Genuine Nutrition Ortanique Recipes Redlands Restaurants Slow Food South Beach Wine & Food Festival spotlight tropical fruit Video Bite wine winter