October 21, 2011 | 0 Comments
Food-related events for your calendar, this weekend and beyond…
Practice your Catalan at the Barceloneta Spanish Bistro & Mercat
The Pubbelly crew expands their Miami Beach territory once again with Barceloneta. Sample Catalan and Spanish tapas (and no, they’re not the same) at the communal twenty-seat table or at one of the surrounding smaller tables.
If Barceloneta is overflowing due to the hype, just stroll down 20th Street to one of the other Pubelly eateries (Pubbelly and Pubbelly Sushi). I suspect those may be full, too. However, I’m not complaining if the feast surges into a pork, sushi and butifarra block party. Barceloneta is now open for dinner.
And more Catalan…
Continue your Catalan practice with the documentary, El Bulli: Cooking in Progress, about the legendary Spanish dining mecca and its mad scientist/chef Ferran Adria. In order to ensure that every self-respecting foodie in town gets to see the movie, both O Cinema and Miami Beach Cinematheque screen the film this weekend. MBC also has a Monday showing.
More food films for your plate and your mind
O Cinema continues its Food Justice Film Series this weekend with What’s on your Plate? The documentary follows Sadie and Safiyah, two 11-year-olds in New York City, as they discover the politics of what’s on their plates. The girls interview food activists, farmers, friends and storekeepers. Although produced by a completely different outfit, my hope is this film will emulate the awesome “Bodega Down Bronx,” a video also co-produced by kids and adults in New York City earlier this year.
Monday, October 24th is Food Day
This nationwide event is sponsored by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Visit the farmers market, learn more about local food issues in a discussion panel with farmers and professors and take in two more food documentaries (Grow and Fresh!) at the University of Miami on Monday. More Food Day events are listed here.
- An Inclusive History of the United States in 100 Satiating Bites
- Good Catch: Recipes & Stories Celebrating the Best of Florida’s Waters
- New App Delivers All Of Miami–Literally–To Your Doorstep
- Four Fascinating Moments from the International Association of Culinary Professionals Conference
- Welcome Oakland Park’s New Culinary Arts District on Tuesday
Leave a Reply
Follow @miamidish on Twitter
- Miami Dish Loves: Churros for the Best of Times and the Worst of Times March 25, 2009
- Foodbuzz 24,24,24: First Annual Farm to Table Dinner September 21, 2008
- Contest: Tell Me Who You Are and Win Prizes! August 19, 2008
- Pizza Crawl – Downtown May 28, 2009
- CSA Show and Tell (Mid-January): Canistel Custard January 18, 2010
- Where to Eat in Chicago: Desserts and Treats March 17, 2015
- An Inclusive History of the United States in 100 Satiating Bites November 19, 2014
- Good Catch: Recipes & Stories Celebrating the Best of Florida’s Waters November 12, 2014
- New App Delivers All Of Miami–Literally–To Your Doorstep September 11, 2014
- Four Fascinating Moments from the International Association of Culinary Professionals Conference March 20, 2014
- FNN: You might want to go to the New Epicure Market in ...
- FNN: Sometimes just an old-fashion hearty meal that is ...
- Eleanor Hoh: Trina, my sincere apologies for not realizing you ...
- Sodeli Horn: Hello! Thank you for posting this interesting arti...
- Edible South Florida: You've done good work here, Trina. But we know we'...
33143 avocado Charles Ferrin chefs Chicago chocolate cocktails contest cookbooks cooking classes Coral Gables CSA events Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden farm farmers market farms featured First Annual Farm to Table Dinner fish food Food Events Haiti ice cream In Season interview lunch Lunch Week mango Man on the Street Miami Miami Beach Miami Drink Michael's Genuine Nutrition Ortanique Recipes Restaurants Slow Food South Beach Wine & Food Festival spotlight tropical fruit Video Bite wine winter