by Nancy Ancrum
Sure, strawberries dipped in chocolate is a romantic’s cliché–especially on Valentine’s Day. Is that really a problem? This time of year, South Florida produces a rich bounty of “dippables” for this fondue: bananas, star fruit, oranges–and those ripe, red strawberries.
Chocolate Fondue for Two
Approximately 15 minutes
3 tablespoons whipping cream
1½ tablespoons honey
1 3.5-ounce bar Toblerone dark chocolate, chopped
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a medium saucepan, combine cream and honey and bring to a simmer.
2. Add chocolate and whisk until melted. Add more cream if the mixture is too thick. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Pour fondue into a bowl and serve with fruit slices and berries.
As an alternative, you can put all the ingredients into a bowl and heat in a microwave for 30-second increments. Whisk each time until chocolate has melted and blend until smooth.
1. Make it sweet and potent: Add a splash or two of rum, kirsch, Amaretto or Kahlua.
2. Make it sweet and hot: Whisk just enough chili powder into the melted chocolate to make your tongue tingle.
3. Make it sweet and salty: How about some bits of finely chopped crispy bacon? How bad could that be?
Related recipes: For a savory strawberry recipe, try spicy strawberry salsa.